Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Social Media Article 1




N.p.,n.d.Web.
  As an RA you will see countless breakups. Be it in the hallway, outside, or social media. Anytime you hear the cookie cutter phrase or see the single status pop up; you know a break up just happened. You also know that someone’s life just got that much harder. You also know that every time they get on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and etc. that they are more than likely going to see their former boyfriend or girlfriend. Needless to say, it is vital for an RA to help residents whenever possible even when there are tear streaks and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s involved.
  This article I found to be insightful on this issue, because it really lets one see what a person in that situation truly has to go through. After reading this article I found that this guy truly struggled erasing this girl from his life. She was everywhere. He could not log on to any social network without seeing something related to her. Even after deleting her from his Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and iPhone address book he could still see her. The reason being they shared a lot of friends. She was constantly being mentioned in his feed or suggested as a friend. So what did this man do? He vowed celibacy from social networks. His reasoning was that it was his only option for escaping her.
  I find this information both shocking and insightful. I find it shocking that a person in this day and age has to visit the little dipper and be dubbed ruler of a nation to simply separate oneself from another. I find this knowledge insightful because I know that my residents talk to their friends primarily through texts and Facebook. I then know that their social life would almost completely be kaput if they follow this man’s example and simply avoid all social media. Therefore, I know that to help address this problem I can simply incorporate some events outside of my building for social gatherings. Social gatherings that did not entail me to have to send out an RSVP list to my entire contact list via Facebook.  I made my resident’s life sweet and simple by simply paying attention and researching their needs.

Source: Rodriguez, Salvador. "In the Digital Age, Breaking up Is Hard to Do." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 13 Feb. 2014. Web. 14 Apr. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment