Monday, April 6, 2015

Entering Stage Left

  My name is Elizabeth J. Kolb. I am from Mountain Pine, Arkansas. My home town's population is right under seven hundred. My hometown was not the most conventional or enticing place. I suppose it is for that reason I stumbled upon my current career choice. Like most college students I came to school with an idea of what I wanted to do with my life. It wasn't until I had a page soaked with tears and a mind throbbing from the stress of my Pre-Nursing courses that I thought perhaps my heart wasn't in my current career choice. After some soul searching I realized the answer was in front of me. I love children. I love flooding their minds with thoughts, ideas, and facts they never knew existed. Needless, to say the next day I changed my major to Early Childhood Education.
   I'm a firm believer of if you're on the wrong path then all hell will break loose on you. That's how my life had been going prior to switching majors. It was as if overnight everything seemed to fall into place. The job I didn't get hired for called me a week later and asked me to join their staff. Needless, to say that is how I became a Henderson State University Resident Assistant.
   When I first started my job as an RA I learned some things very quickly. For instance, I am responsible for sixty people on my floor alone, paper work sucks, pulling program ideas from one's bum is kind of impossible, maintenance takes their time, and that my residents are some amazingly humorous individuals. I created this blog to give other RA's who are struggling to stay afloat and maintain a dazzling GPA wisdom and ideas. I hope ya'll will enjoy this ride with me. Here's to my first blog post!

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading about waldo and absolutely love the paper bead assignment. Sounds like your residents must really have a good time thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool getting to see the pictures. I really enjoyed getting to see the world from another's vocal point. The beads were just as neat. I suppose it is the college version of a macaroni necklace. My job is pretty neat. It has its high and lows, but all in all it's an experience I wouldn't trade for the world.

      Delete
  2. I too am from a small town and I also changed my major because I wasn't enjoying it. I like how you're so gung-ho about being a teacher, and hope you have fun becoming one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found what you are truly passionate about, and I appreciate your complements. Here's to our small towns and new majors!

      Delete
  3. I grew up about 10 minutes from Mountain Pine... Know where Piney/Royal is??? So I understand where you're coming from... I hope you enjoy the journey you are currently traveling to become a teacher!!! :)

    ReplyDelete